Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Last time when I made a New Year’s resolution was perhaps in 2003 or 2004, and I can no longer remember what they were. Since it’s quite humiliating to make a long list only to realize just a couple of months later that I have not stuck to it at all, I have not bothered with another New Year’s resolution for quite a few years.

This year, however, I am thinking that perhaps I should try to come up with a list of New Year’s resolution again. Even if I fail to accomplish any of them, just the effort itself, however short-lived it might be, will be a good exercise in discipline. So what are my New Year’s Resolutions for 2010?

I was at McKinsey for just a year and it was quite a while ago, but its military-style training left an indelible mark on my thinking. Somehow, I can’t help but treat each question with an “issue-tree” analysis, complete with bullet points and dashes. So here they are – my New Year’s Resolutions:

Soft and fluffy ones:
• Be more patient and relaxed
• Be less anxious and perfectionist (isn’t this one essentially the same as the above?)
• Be more considerate, and yet at the same time -
• Be more firm and assertive

Concrete actionable items:
• Delegate more and wisely, when it comes to childcare and housework
• Practice more positive reinforcement
• Read a book every month
• Have lunch out 1-2 times a week
• Have dinner out at least once a month
• Take 2 leisure trips in 2010
• Embark on something exciting!

Somehow, as I am reviewing this list, I notice that many “concrete actionable items” are essentially things that I easily did before Winston’s birth. Now I need a New Year’s Resolution to make an attempt at them!

Of course, the most important task, which is implicit, is to raise Winston well. That will be top of the list for every year from now on.

1 comment:

fenrulin said...

I will gladly help you with your resolution of eating out!