Sunday, February 14, 2010

Now I am a "Veteran Entrepreneur"

The company I started almost 4 years ago has been acquired. Overall, it is considered a success, especially in the context of this economic recession. I have received a lot of congratulations from many people. Some are just simple “congratulations”, while others required me to think a little bit.

“Congratulations on the bona fide success. I can see that perhaps you are not to gain much in the immediate future, but it has been a net positive for you still, in that it’s a rapid learning curve.”

“Wow. How do you feel about it?”

“Congratulations. You should be really proud of yourself, since you are one of the few entrepreneurs who have successfully started a company and sold it at the end.”

“Now is this your desired outcome?”

“Are you satisfied?”

“Congratulations. I hope that you are taken care of.”

"Now you are a veteran entrepreneur."

And so on…

Needless to say, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the past four years. Maybe a quote from Confucius captures my thinking succinctly: “By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.”

No comments: