Saturday, September 25, 2010

Winston got sick...

Winston caught a cold right after I came back from Boston. It really has been painful for me to see him sufer from the cold, with his eyes watery, nose runny and gasping for air every time he drinks milk or water or eat anything, as he needed his mouth to breathe.

He’s still at home with the live-in nanny, because I want to postpone the time when he will be catching all kinds of viruses and germs until he’s at least 2 years old. Therefore, I was not happy with the nanny or Michael. Of course, as a mother, I immediately noticed a lot of things – he was dressed too lightly, he did not have enough blanket on him, he was not separated from sick kids in the park, and his hands were not promptly washed or wiped after touching dirty things, etc.

Several friends told me that parents suffer more than the kids when the kids are sick, especially babies, and they are right. While I had a lingering cold for almost a month, somehow it was not that bad to me, except that I was constantly afraid of Winston catching it.

A friend warned me, “the year when my son went to daycare, I had never been sicker in my entire life. He brought home all kinds of nasty stuff, and I was almost constantly sick.” He asked me to brace myself for it! - I am already thinking about home logsitics when Winston goes to daycare next year. I will probably have to keep a nanny still – either a live-in nanny or a couple of part-time nannies that could be on call. Indeed it is so much work to raise a kid that I do wonder how others can handle more than one kid. Another friend said that he could not figure out how people could deal with even just one baby, since he already found it challenging to take care of just one dog! :)

Yes, perhaps I should brace myself for more illnesses to happen to poor little Winston. However, no matter how much I brace myself, I will probably still find it painful to see him sick.

No comments: