Friday, October 29, 2010

London

I went to London for a business conference. Since the conference started on Monday morning, I flew in on Sunday morning. I have always loved London and certainly could not pass up the chance to see a bit of London with a few extra hours. A friend of mine who works at Schlumberger near Oxford came up to London and we visited the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square, had a fusion Indian lunch and then a light Japanese dinner. The hotel (City Inn Westminster) is only a few minutes from Westminster Abbey and Parliament, and the conference took place at Queen Elizabeth II conference center which is next to the Abbey. While I missed Winston and worried about him a little bit, I did enjoy the few days in London despite a very hectic conference schedule meeting with over 30 companies in two days.

One of the observations my friend made after living in the UK for a while was that “there are many more doors”. I said that I had not noticed it. Then I started noticing it! I think it is due to the British sense of propriety that they have so many more doors, especially in publich bathrooms. I would open one door, only to realize that it was leading to another door. I suppose this type of arrangement would ensure that no one would be caught in an embarrassing state!

No comments: