Sunday, August 26, 2012

Movies and Actresses


I saw the movie "J. Edgar" yesterday. Since it's a Clint Eastwood movie, naturally it has a message to deliver for our times. And the message is obvious. Clint Eastwood must be a die-hard Democrat. 

Leonardo DiCaprio was phenomenal. He's come a long way from being the hearthrob in "Titanic" to a very unattractive middle-aged J. Edgar Hoover in "J. Edgar". Naomi Watts and Judi Dench played his secretary and his mother, respectively, which made me wonder - are American actresses so bad at speaking American English that they have to hire Australian and British actresses to fake an American accent? 

Indeed, when I think about it, while there have been phenomenal American actors, most of the impressive actresses (in my opinion) are not American – Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Kiera Knightley, etc. The one exception is Meryl Streep. The other day, I happened to have caught a glimpse of her in "Sophie's Choice" - it was so heart-breaking that I had to turn it off. I have never been able to watch that movie in completion, because it's made to feel too real. 

What other movies did I see recently? - The new version of "Jane Eyre" which I found incredibly boring. I think it's time people stop remaking "Jane Eyre" or "Pride and Prejudice". 

No comments: