Sunday, August 19, 2012

The London Olympics


This year has been very low-key and melancholy. For one thing, the Olympics came and went, and I can hardly remember what happened.  But wait a second – that is the Olympics that happens only once every four years!!!

I did not watch either the opening or the closing ceremonies. Presumably they were fine but not earth-shattering. It was okay to miss them. While Michael Phelps astonished the world at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, no one did at the London games. Sure, Michael Phelps added to his gold medal  count and became the person with the most Olympic gold medals in history. But somehow no one was impressed with him. In fact, if he had repeated another eight gold medals, people would not have been terribly impressed, let alone falling short of that goal. 

So what do I remember about the London Olympics? I remember some interesting gymnastic moves. Oh, Winston got a fake gold medal at school, and I asked him, "is that your gold medal?" He naturally said, "yes." I asked him, "Is that for team competition or individual all-around." "Individual all-around." I tried to suppress my laughs and continued my questioning, "is that for diving or gymnastics?" "Gymnastics." His way of answering a question with choices is to choose the latter one, as presumably it's easier for him to remember the pronunciation. 

Finally, I asked him, "is it from the world championship or the Olympics?" Of course, he said, "Olympics." 

So that's what I remember best about the London Olympics. 

No comments: