Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Fun of Eating

Today I went with a friend to this “authentic German place” for a lunch (http://www.gourmethausstaudt.com/) – German sausages and sauerkraut and potato salad and of course beer. We both loved it. Still, I find it hard to imagine living with the monotony of the German cuisine on a daily basis! It’s definitely okay and even fun to have such a German fare once in a while, but sausages every day? That seems really heavy.

I recall the movie “Sissi” started with a scene of Sissi’s family sitting down for a breakfast of sausages – each person had two white sausages in his/her plate. I also recall that in the movie Franz Josef told Sissi that like her, his favorite food is Wiener Schnitzle – essentially veal fried in batter. Maybe it’s due to the dearth of vegetables and spices that German or Austrian cuisines are overall so bland. They do know how to make a good beer though!

The weather today was gorgeous. It’s May Day – Arizmendi bakery (the worker-owned co-op) is even closed today to honor May Day. Only in San Francisco perhaps do we see places that honor May Day, in the entire United States! :)

I have to say that Western cuisine really has made desserts/beer/wine/liquor into true arts, but for entrees, I believe Chinese cuisine is far better. Of course people might say that I am biased, but I honestly believe that like my approach to business, I am trying to get the best of both worlds. In other words, a real heavenly meal in my opinion will start with Japanese appetizers, consist of Chinese entrees (my favorites include Sichuan, Shanghai, Yunnan and Anhui cuisines), accompanied by Californian wine or German beer, and finished with Italian or French dessert.

Eating really can be a lot of fun.

No comments: