Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Maternal Instinct

I read in complete horror about the attacks on school children in China recently. How could anyone do this? Of course, the answer is that only crazy people could commit a crime as hideous as hurting and killing innocent children. I do believe that my mentality has been through a fundamental shift since giving birth to Winston. Emotionally I cannot cope with any knowledge of children being ignored, abused or hurt. That also makes me wonder about the feasibility of moving back to China one of these days, due to my concern for Winston’s welfare.

People talk about “maternal instinct” as something that women will have when they are ready to have kids. Actually I never had this instinct until Winston was born. My maternal instinct was born at the same time as Winston.

Every time I encounter a baby or a toddler these days, I always pause to look at the kid. It’s a habit of mine, and seeing them smile and hearing them laugh really do make me happy. Kids are the future of this world. They embody hope and eternity, while at the same time projecting complete dependence and vulnerability.

No comments: