Monday, July 12, 2010

Birthdays

Today is my birthday. My mother thought of it and so did my husband. But I did not.

Perhaps a telling sign that I have entered into the “next generation” (or the generation with responsibilities) is that I now remember my son Winston’s birthday much better than my own birthday. In fact, I remember his birthday on a monthly basis (he was born on the 16th) better than my birthday on a yearly basis.

My mother asked me if I wanted a cake, and I said no. So what do I want for my birthday then?

Maybe I am just overall too greedy. If asked right now, what I want for my birthday is a sense of assurance that my current nanny for Winston really is among the best, if not the best for him. But I know that no one can give me that assurance.

In business, we frequently struggle with ambiguous situations and imperfect data, and we often wish that we could have a “crystal ball” when we need to make difficult decisions in a situation that’s fraught with uncertainty. But I realize that I don’t mind the uncertain aspect of business, because it is business after all.

It is only when it comes to my son that I truly wish I could have a crystal ball. On my own birthday, my birthday wish is that Winston will live a really happy, healthy and fulfilling life, celebrating at least 100 birthdays of his own!

1 comment:

allegro said...

Happy Birthday, Sofie!