Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nanny Issues (3)

Will I ever be finished with nanny issues?

I let the Shanghai nanny go last weekend, and I have to say that it was not easy for me. She was quite emotional and burst into tears when she said goodbye to Winston.

Overall, she did like Winston, but her health remained a big concern for me. She did not have much energy partly due to her diabetes. She tried to conserve energy by leaving Winston in the stroller most of the time, and he did not complain about sitting in the stroller for hours every day. In addition, I could tell that she was not used to following instructions. She much preferred to be left alone, even after she made mistakes. I guess that’s understandable pride, but I would not want to have a nanny with such an attitude. I would make a suggestion, and I would not hear any response from her. And then I would see that often she did not follow those suggestions either afterwards. Basically, the communication between her and me was broken, and it could lead to huge conflicts in the future. I felt really bad for her when I let her go, and I explained that it was due to the workload that I feared was too heavy for her.

This weekend I am trying another nanny from Beijing, who is a bit too talkative in my opinion. I wonder if she is going to keep talking on the phone while watching over Winston.... Oh well, it is certainly not easy to find an ideal nanny, who’s competent, industrious and loving.

One of my friends said that Winston would be moved when he is old enough to know how much care went into finding a nanny for him. I, on the other hand, think that he would perhaps find his mother’s excessive love and worry a huge burden.

But I can’t help it... He’s simply too adorable.

No comments: