Thursday, February 17, 2011

Death and Taxes

It is time to file tax returns again. According to Michael, this year we have to pay a lot of money in additional federal and state taxes, because of the sale of my first start-up company and my consulting fee. I have been a Democrat without ever questioning it, and now suddenly I feel that perhaps I am not a real Democrat since I really don't like the idea of writing such a huge check!

Of course, I am married to someone who is always textbook correct. While I have always been terrified of death (one reason why I loved Woody Allen's "Hannah and Her Sisters" since I totally identify with his character's comic struggle to come to terms with the inevitable death), Michael seems to view it as a natural part of life and therefore not unwelcome when the time is right. When it comes to taxes, he seems to be particularly excited this year about paying more taxes to support the government and the poor.

Therefore I am speechless - I can't complain to him about having to pay so much taxes or my fear of death. While death and taxes are the two things we cannot escape but I wish I could, Michael seems to take the position that even if he could escape both, he would choose to escape neither.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Death and Taxes <--that's what i was looking for
UK Dissertation