Saturday, February 19, 2011

Where Would I Go If I Could....

My mother and my sister are on an organized tour in Cambodia right now. I recommended that they go there for a vacation trip, although I have never been there myself. Come to think of it, I have not been on any vacation trips since Winston's birth. I did go to Boston, San Diego and London in the past year, but all for business. I will be heading to Shanghai, Shenzhen and Hong Kong in April, again for business. But there are so many places I want to see still. I occasionally look at photos taken from my vacation trips, and I myself marvel at how youthful I looked before, and sometimes even quite fashionable - at least by comparison to my current daily attire which are sweats unless I have to go to a business meeting, in which case I will be wearing equally exciting black pantsuits. As Tina Fey said, "Being a mother makes me very tired." She also added, "and very happy."

Since I can't go on any vacation trips in the near future as all trip slots are reserved for business, I find myself compiling a list of places I would go, if I could - classic wishful thinking. Granted, I have already asked friends to consider going on a cruise to Alaska next year when Winston turns 3, at which age he could join on-board activities and leave me and friends to relax, chat and party. This way, it will not be enormous amount of work for me to keep Winston entertained. But that really is meant for a continuous party which presumably would be fun for Winston more than anyone else. I actually like neither cruises nor Alaska - Cruises are boring without a big number of friends coming along to fend off the boredom, and Sarah Palin unfortunately poisoned the image of Alaska for me.

Just selfishly speaking, where would I want to go for my own sake? Well, I would love to see Cambodia and Vietnam. I would love to see Greece and Turkey. I would love to see the Russian grandeur in St. Petersburg and Moscow. I would love to see the castles in Scotland. I would love to see the Scandinavian countries - preferably in the summer. I would love to see Japan. I would love to see New Zealand. And I would love to see the many places in China where I have not been.

There are of course places I loved which I think I would love to see again. However, in my experience the second time was never as magical as the first time when it comes to tourist attractions. Therefore I am determined to not revisit places unless they would have been exciting places to live and work for a while, such as London and Paris.

Alright - enough daydreaming and back to the reality of weekend errands and laundry.

No comments: