Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tragic Figure

I had a boyfriend when I was a freshman in college, who told me that one of the reasons he was attracted to me was because I seemed to be a tragic figure. I actually did not even know the meaning of that term, and was not sure if it was a real compliment or not. Considering that it was quoted as a reason for attraction, I decided that it must have been a desirable quality.

A famous Chinese saying essentially states that in all of history beautiful women all have tragic fates in the end. Perhaps young men often are attracted to such mystique, as beauty presumably is what attracts men first and foremost. Surely we have all read about "tragic beauties", but have we ever heard about "comic beauties"?

In any case, I felt very tragic dating this guy, because I was constantly unhappy. Comically, that might have further contributed to his conclusion that I was a tragic figure, even though I had never wanted to be one and really don't think I have ever been one. Come to think of it, who wants to be with someone who is forever sad by nature? Perhaps we can appreciate such poetic sadness in a painting, in a song, or in a dance. But on a daily basis over dinner?

I find it funny that I am already thinking about what kind of girlfriends Winston might have in the future. I genuinely hope that he will not fall for any "tragic figure", as he himself is such a jolly fellow! There is nothing mysterious about tragedy, and therefore nothing beautiful about it. I hope that he will find humor more attractive than melancholy.

But of course, what is the chance of him listening to me?

1 comment:

Michael L said...

very well written, and funny!