Monday, February 21, 2011

Love of Risk

I met a business friend for coffee the other day. She has been in the industry for decades and has now decided to do some consulting here and there instead of anything more strenuous. When she heard that I had started another company in such an atrocious financing environment, she said, "I admire your courage and love of risk."

Do I have a love of risk? I seriously doubt it. When I was a kid, I was among the most timid. I recall being scared to death climbing up a simple play structure in a park. I recall fearing teachers' criticism when I thought that I had not done something exactly according to instruction. I recall waking up in a nightmare because in the dream I missed a bus or was late for an exam. In summary, I have always considered myself very timid and risk-adverse - until one day I have been definitively viewed as a "brave entrepreneur", in which case "love of risk" has also become a descriptor of me.

However, in reality, I still do not love risk, although I love reward. I have not grown more fond of risk, but I have grown to understand the relationship between risk and reward, the trade-off between excitement and security, and how to estimate the right balance. What appears to be much risk-taking for others may not be much for me, and what appears to be nothing for others still may appear too risky for me - for example, climbing up rickety play structures.

No comments: