Monday, September 19, 2011

A Foreigner from Birth

Winston does not like going to his daycare center.

In the morning, when I come downstairs after a shower, he would notice me and say "I am not going to school", because that is exactly when I am getting ready to take him to daycare center.

When I ask him in a teasing way, "do you want Sabrina", "do you want Ms. Ashlee", "do you want Molly", he would say "no", since all these people are from daycare.But if I ask "do you want Abby" (my friend's daughter who's just a few months older), he would say "yes", because the only time he sees her is on weekends when he does not have to go to school.

This past weekend, I decided to take him to Palo Alto Junior Museum and Zoo. In the morning when I put him in the car seat, he said, "I don't want to go to school." I started driving, and instead of turning onto Stanford Avenue, I decided to drive by his school. He noticed that immediately, and started complaining, "no, no. I want to go that way. I don't want to go to school." By the time we got to the school, he was already quiet and resigned, thinking that it was another school day. But I drove by, and asked him to say "bye bye, school!" which he readily did.

Nowadays whenever he is with me, he talks non-stop even when he's just playing by himself. No wonder he prefers not to go to school since no one understands him. Just the other morning, one of his classmates told the teacher, "Winston is from China!" - Obviously he was saying something in Chinese that no one understood!

When he speaks English, he has a Chinese accent. But when he speaks Chinese, he has an American accent. His classmates think that he's from China, but he's never even been to China! Is he going to remain a foreigner everywhere?

No comments: