Sunday, April 17, 2011

Movies Shown on the Airplanes

I remember reading somewhere that Woody Allen refused to have any of his movies shown on airplanes. Now I understand why - in general those movies are terrible.

On the trans-Pacific flights, they usually show at least three movies. I used to think that I did not possess the energy to watch all three, but I now realize it is because they are so terrible that it is impossible for me to watch all three.

So on the two recent trans-Pacific rides, I watched "The Tourist", "The King's Speech" and "Conviction", or as much of them as I could bear. In terms of seriousness, they range from comical to melodramatic. Watching these movies made me wonder if the filmmakers have ran out of ideas altogether. Is it possible to have a more ridiculous plot than "The Tourist"? Is it possible to have a less trivial topic than "The King's Speech"? Is it possible to watch Hillary Swank not play a character who triumphed against all odds?

Then I reminded myself, these are the movies shown on the airplanes.

No comments: