Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Mom is Visiting

Since my mom arrived over a week ago, she has been complaining that I am too intense and impatient. I remind her that I am just like her when she was younger.

She said that in her entire life, the happiest time has been after her retirement. She did not like exams, so school was not too much fun for her. After she graduated from college, it was Cultural Revolution and she was sent to destitute countryside. As a single mother with two kids and a full-time job, life was constantly very stressful for her. Then my grandparents started to get old and sick one after the other.

Indeed when I think about my mom's life, I have to agree with her that the happiest time has been after her retirement. Now that she's overall healthy, she's able to do some part-time tutoring to keep herself mentally active, as well as enjoy herself with various activities with her friends. She's not a sentimental person by nature, and therefore spending time with her only grandson has never been top of the agenda. But she is always willing to help me if I need her help, and hence her visiting for two months during Winston's transition from home to daycare.

No comments: