Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An Almost Forgotten Blog

I found the following entry that I was going to post back in May, but Winston came down with a fever right afterwards so I left it there. Now I am posting it here - over 2 months later;;;

The other day, I went over to Google to have lunch with a couple of friends, whose kids are roughly the same age as Winston.

They both commented on how much I ate, which was entirely due to the absolutely delicious food that Google cafe offers (infinitely better than most restaurants in Bay Area). Then our conversation was largely about family and kids - daycare, nannies, in-laws, relatives, future schools, houses, concerns, etc. It was not like that we solved any problems - we just talked. Honestly, the transcript of the conversation could totally qualify as a "mommy's group lunch". So why have I resisted joining any "moms groups"?

I know all too well why. My friends and I might have been talking about only trivial domestic issues during the whole lunch, but we relate to each other and connect on more than just that level. If the reason behind a gathering is to talk about kids related stuff, and there is else that connects me to that group, then I will only want to see these people when I have a kids-related concern. Of course, in real life, once you join a group like that, you should be a good citizen and show up whether or not you have an issue to deal with. And that has deterred me from joining any. There are enough obligations in life and I would rather not increase them.

I feel empathy towards all the mothers out there and I relate (at least I think I do) to their feelings, but I am not interested in joining any mothers' group. I like discussing books and films, but I am not interested in joining any book clubs or film groups. Indeed during our lunch, we could have talked about books, or movies, or work, or some cultural issues instead of kids stuff, and it would have been all spontaneous and natural.

No comments: