Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Birthday Party

Last weekend, we took Winston to attend a birthday party of a 2-year old girl. The mother is one of the first few people who joined Google. The party was held in the back yard.

Normally Winston does not like to attend parties, as he does not enjoy being confined to a small or enclosed area. I sometimes wonder if he has claustrophobia. This house (or I should say mansion) has a huge front yard and an enormous back yard, complete with a play structure and a rented jumpy house. The couple mingled with the guests while the nanny helped take care of the 2-year old birthday girl, and the caterers served the food. It was all fabulous. Winston had such a terrific time. Afterwards, I told a friend who worked with me on my first startup that even if my second startup turns out to be the success I project (which of course is not a guarantee) I still will not be able make as much money as this friend. Indeed during lunch with another couple of biotech friends, we talked about how tough, capital-intensive and unpredictable our industry is. They wondered aloud why they did not choose a different industry, while I chuckled. I don't wonder about that at all, not because I would not like to make millions, but because I have no fascination with computers or gadgets. I wish that I were as interested in the latest gadgets or the latest web applications as others, so that I could feel that I belong to the younger generation. But I really don't. Therefore, there was NEVER any doubt that I have missed the opportunity to be in the technology or IT industry - I was not endowed with the requisite talent for it.

A friend of mine who's head of research at a local biotech company told me that his son's best friend in school is the son of President of Google. After a couple of play dates at this friend's house, his son came back asking him why they could not have a nice house like that. Not knowing how to respond, my friend told him that if he complains once more about it, he will be sent to sleep in the backyard. He talked about another venture capitalist friend who grew up impoverished in New York city who is now worried that his kids are too spoiled and lack perspective - it is difficult to deny them things when all their friends are getting them, and they cannot say that mommy or daddy can't afford it either. When we live in the area with so much wealth around, how do we address innocent questions from kids, before they lose their innocence?

I guess it is just a matter of time before Winston comes home and asks me why we don't live in a house as nice as his friend's. I had better be ready for an answer by then!

No comments: