Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Belated Report on Thanksgiving

I recall griping about Thanksgiving as I don’t like turkey, nothing opens and travelling is hectic during Thanksgiving. But now that I have a kid, I have to make him happy over this holiday. I always feel guilty about leaving him with the nanny even though I am not even working full-time... So I have to make up for it occasionally.

On Thanksgiving Day, we went to my friend Tim’s place for the traditional Thanksgiving fare. I have not had any turkey (and I do mean any turkey at all) for many years due to my intense dislike of it. Tim’s wife did everything from scratch – turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc. I have to say that I still don’t like cranberry sauce, but the turkey and stuffing were actually pretty good. Winston loved the stuffing and baked beans, and he ate a ton of them, which led to diarrhea the next day, as he’s lactose intolerant and there was milk in both the stuffing and the baked beans.

On Friday, we were going to go to Michael’s sister’s place, but her family all caught a bad cold. Instead, we went shopping with Winston at Stanford Shopping Center and eating out for dinner. Winston was not too thrilled sitting in the high chair at Hobbee’s in Palo Alto, but he was overall well behaved. On Saturday, we went to a neighbor’s house (who’s also a colleague of michael’s in the same department) for early brunch party with winston at 10 am where there were other kids from other stanford professors (all in the same department), all of whom were older though. None of the kids played with Winston, and they would push him away when he clumsily tried to touch the toys they were playing. Good-humoredly, Winston just walked away when he was unwelcome. After I put him down for his afternoon nap, we went to an adult’s party – a friend is having a big celebration of their turtle’s 30th birthday. He gave this turtle to his wife before they started dating! It was all big and formal with printed invitations. I realize that the only way for me to utterly relax is at an adults’ party, as otherwise my eyes and ears would constantly follow Winston to make sure that he’s well taken care of. On Sunday, we took him as usual to the nearby farmers’ market in the morning and then after some playing in the park, he ate lunch, drank milk and fell asleep for 3 hours. We were going to go to a friend’s place for dumplings – her daughter is 7 months older than winston. But her daughter started having a runny nose and to be safe, we did not go. Instead we took him to meet another friend – we met at the Santa Claus area of Stanford Shopping Center. Then we drove to see the Los Altos Light Parade, which apparently is like a phenomenon of the area – Winston was utterly mesmerized by the various bands from local public and private schools, as well as those colorful displays parading down the street. People treat this event like Bostonians with the July 4 fireworks – they lined up the street with their lounge chairs during the day time long before the parade started.

My arms were so sore after holding Winston up over the Thanksgiving holiday, but it’s all worth it as he had a very good time. Of course he will not remember a thing...

No comments: