Monday, December 20, 2010

Holiday Party

This past Saturday, we went to a very big holiday party at a friend’s place in Palo Alto. Winston was having so much fun there just roaming around the house, tasting different kinds of food, observing all these strangers and getting in their way. Needless to say, he was the youngest person at this party. When he was first taken into the house, he was a bit scared by the strange surroundings, but after being held for a while, he got used to it. He started walking right between people who were having a conversation – I consider that cute, but I wonder if others think that I am spoiling him rotten. But he is only a year and a half!

The house was decorated appropriately for the holidays, and tastefully furnished by the husband. The wife, who is a biotech entrepreneur like myself, admitted that like me, she was not into housework, home improvement or interior decorating. All the credit therefore goes to her husband. There is an interesting story around how I got to know them. I was on the same plane from San Francisco to Shanghai as the husband S. The plane was delayed, and we ended up chatting as we sat next to each other. After a while, he said, “ you really need to meet my wife, because you two are much alike!” Sure enough, shortly after I returned to the office, I got an email from his wife D. She actually came to my company’s open house, at the invitation of a colleague who has known her for years. Then we became friends. She’s now onto her nth startup company.

Quite a few people who travel in the same circle were at the party, and I would have loved to talk about some of the interesting gossip I learned. But that will have to be saved for a much more private audience... Oh well...

No comments: