Saturday, December 18, 2010

ENFJ

I used to keep a journal, but I now hardly lift a pen unless it is to write a check, sign documents or jot down some quick reminders for myself. A few years ago when I was still living in San Diego, I mentioned at a party that it was such a pity that I would not remember anything since I no longer kept a journal. A friend suggested that I could write a blog, which would have the advantage of being “green” and permanent.

So finally I started writing this blog for that purpose. However, because it is in the public domain, I cannot freely write about everything, especially about my work, which is a pity. There are a lot of interesting stories and observations related to my line of work, and I would love to be able to write them down for a future laugh. I also cannot complain too much or too strongly about anything, as it is likely that those who travel in the same professional circle may accidentally read these blogs (but honestly, who has so much time surfing the web for random blogs these days?) and form a “negative” impression of me.

Speaking of complaining, I do a ton of it. I complain about the weather being dismal, even though most of the time the San Francisco peninsula area has great weather. Imagine what the Scandinavians and the Russians have to deal with! I complain about traffic, although these days I hardly have to drive out for work. I complain about stupidity I encounter, even though these grievances are often minor. As a result, my friends were surprised to find out that I would embark on a new startup within a few months of the sale of the previous one, despite the fact that I complained loudly about how tough and painful it was to do a startup from scratch.

Now this is perhaps a new revelation even to myself. I have a habit of expressing feelings more vividly and strongly than many other people who actually feel much more strongly but express themselves much more sparingly. Therefore, while I certainly did a fair share of whining filled with hyperbole about the pain associated with the first startup, I had the stomach to do it the first time and I certainly have the stomach to do it a second time. Maybe in my case, the minute I get the complaint out of my system, I actually can put up with much more than those positive people who hardly complain.

After all, I am an ENFJ by Myers Briggs...

No comments: