Saturday, December 11, 2010

One of My Favorite Dialogues from a Woody Allen Film

As I now live in Palo Alto, I sometimes think of a dialogue from Woody Allen’s movie “Melinda & Melinda”.

The socially ambitious wife played by Amanda Peet urged her husband to go to a party at the Hamptons, and said, “Everybody who is somebody has a house in the Hamptons.”

The very unambitious and whiny husband played by Will Farrell quick responded, “But if you are somebody who is nobody, you don’t want to be with anybody who is everybody.”

There is unavoidable snobbery in wealthy neighborhoods. All I hope is that Winston will grow up to be neither blindly ambitious like Amanda Peet’s character, nor despondently cynical like Will Farrell’s character. I don’t want him to live for wealth and status, but I don’t’ want him to be fazed by wealth and status either. I just want him to live a happy and fulfilling life no matter where he lives and what he does in the future.

No comments: